Saturday, April 24, 2010

Nalerigu Day 21, 22, 23 -pics

Lisa, Rukaya and her daughter Rita at the front of her home.
Cute child at Rukaya's

Inside Rukaya's home. Each of the rooms is a place for one person to sleep. I didn't see it, but Lisa described it as a rug on a cement floor with one small dressor. There is about 2-3 inches of clothes (her entire wardrobe) stacked on the dresser. She has a small area to the side of her mat which she calls her shower. It is merely a place to stand with a small hole for a drain so she can take a bucket of water to her head. Rukaya has a nicer home than most.


Child at Rukaya's home



Little boy with my sunglasses on




Little boy who latched onto me at the market today and followed me around the entire time












This man hit heads with another guy (not pictured) while playing soccer. This is my version of plastic surgery in Nalerigu. I got to stick them both. Then one of their friends asked me to marry him. Of course, I'm taken. :)







This child does not have heart failure (notice the swelling of the face and legs). She has severe protein malnutrition or kwashiokor. Her mom just had a new baby and is giving all of the feedings to the new child, so this girl has not been given appropriate food. She was admitted for milk feeds and is doing well.








Cute child in clinic. The mom offered to give me another dress like her daughter's :)


Cute baby in clinic




Unicef people came and were finding children at the hospital and in the markets to update their polio vaccination and give them vitamin A






My little child with the neck abscess



Bird on the way to the hospital


Stephanie wrapping Jude on her back the day before she left








Lisa, Stephanie and I with our matching dresses. I searched for a couple hours trying to find three fabrics to match. After I found them, the other girls thought it was a good idea as well. We love our matching dresses!!








Closer look at the fufu








Yisah and Caleb (our cooks and helpers) pounding our fufu. One person has to keep folding the fufu with each pound. I have seen a fufu injury in the clinic.








Oluu, Adam and Adam's brother Alfred. All of the volunteers are so thankful for their excellent translating skills.








Oops! I bought another piece of fabric from a woman on the street of Nalerigu. I have promised Joe that I will leave an item of clothing for every piece of fabric I have acquired.








Drew and Terry doing a debridement on a man who was the lone survivor of a bus crash where 13 other people were killed. He was treated locally and came to BMC for a second opinion. He had live maggots crawling under his dressing. I left the close-ups out for those that wouldn't enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment