Sunday, April 18, 2010

Nalerigu Day 16

Hello Samisi (another word for white person)! We had another rodent free day! Whoever invented duct tape is a blessed person!

Interesting topics about the culture around Nalerigu. The primary "tribe" here are the Mampusi. This is where the language Mampule comes from. Although they are the most prevalent people here, there are actually around 30-40 tribal languages that we see at the hospital. Another common tribe are named the Fulani. The Fulanis and the Mampusi, however, do not live in perfect harmony with one another. Although there is very little violence (Ghana is actually a very peaceful country), there is a sort of cast system here. If a Mampusi person were to marry a Fulani, it is said that the Mampusi would need to cross 7 rivers to cleanse themselves. Very interesting and not just folklore! For the right guy, it might be worth it. :)

Other interesting facts about the culture here. There used to be arranged marriages within the Mampusi people. Now, the people are free to chose who they wish for a husband or wife (except a Fulani). Mum said it best last night the people now "remain free to roam and choose who they wish with only God overseeing the decision".

The cultural lesson continues...we have all noticed beads around both the children and the adult women's waists. My friend Lisa asked one of her Nalerigu friends about these beads after which her friend became quiet and appeared very embarassed. Last night we found the answer to the bead question. The older women wear the beads around the waist as a type of sexual ornament. The younger women who do not yet have a man wear more beads and let them be shown. Married women tend to hide their beads for only their spouse to see. One of our male friends told us that women who don't wear the beads are called "snake women" since they are too smooth. We're still a little confused about what exactly that means. We were also still confused why the female children would wear the beads. They told us that the beads on the girls are not for sexual purposes at all, but instead are used to increase their "booty" size in order to give them more beautiful figures. Later today, I had the opportunity to babysit John and Lisa's little boy Jude for a short time while they went to market. They returned with a gift for me. You guessed it...waist beads! Let's just say they are not at all discrete with 4 rows of beads in bright pink and lime green colors. Thanks Lisa! haha

On with today's business. Rounds were very quick this morning as most of the children have been discharged from the hospital. It felt great. The first child I saw today is a little boy who we have been following since Jessie and I arrived. He was initially hospitalized for typhoid perforation, but returned to the hospital after discharge with malaria. Unfortunately throughout this process, despite treatment with Malaria he has had persistent respiratory difficulties. I saw him yesterday and noticed that he seemed somewhat fluid overloaded, had a large liver (which you can see with malaria as well), but also had a gallop heart rhythm. This child is currently in heart failure and made solely on the physical examination. There are no echocardiograms or lab tests here! I started the patient on Lasix (yes, we do have this medication) and today he is doing much better. Since we have very few patients today, I'll make congestive heart failure my diagnosis of the day. I hope and pray that he continues to improve. Several more patients were discharged today including the baby that wasn't pooping. We've had a few good days in a row which we both appreciate, especially since Dr. Hewitt and Dr. Dickens are trusting Jessie and I to run the pediatrics ward.

After rounds we all got ready and headed to church. Today we went to the Presbyterian church here in town. This was a smaller church than 2nd Baptist, but the primary language spoken was English which made things much easier for those of us that know only "small small" Mampule. The service was great including the music. They even said the Apostle's Creed in English. :) The sermon was interesting. The pastor spoke about listening to God and trying to hear what he is calling us to do. This couldn't have been any more appropriate for me since I am in Africa doing what I felt was my calling. As a second layer of that, I felt that just being here wasn't enough which made me reflect even more on what exactly I can do here and how I may help. One of my favorite parts of the sermon was when the pastor said that we need to be like the salt that improves the soups that we eat. We need to enrich the lives of those around us. Couldn't have said it better myself. Of note, they did mention how much they received in offering from the entire congregation the previous week which added up to 50 Ghana Cedis. This is total around $35 in the US. I will say that having 9 Sulamingas (non-Africans) visiting the church provided more funds than they normally receive in over 1 month. Not exactly your metropolitan mega-church.

After church we enjoyed some lunch and then several of us headed to the market for more exploring. Did I mention the market occurs every three days and frequently falls on clinic days when we cannot go? Market is always an enjoyable experience. I think they are getting used to us visiting since the fabric prices are starting to go down. It does help a little when you can speak some of their language. I, of course, could not resist some yards of fabric. I still remain torn on this matter as I enjoy the gorgeous fabrics and like to give back to the community that we are living in, but also try hard to not let the innate materialism win me over. I only lasted 1 hour at the market as it was blistery hot. After returning home, I got to play with baby Jude for a little while and then enjoyed watching a baseball game that was put together to include many of the volunteers here. I may have joined in if it were soccer, but no one really wants to see me try to swing a bat. Dinner came/went and I headed to the schoolhouse where I now reside to type my blog. My pictures will be limited today as my camera broke during church and would not let me take photos. After much deliberaton and help from my fantastic, amazing husband, I finally just broke off the switch that wasn't working and rigged up a fixed system. It's not perfect, but I can take photos again. No photos for the rest of my trip would have certainly been a sad occurence (although not the worst).

As always I hope and pray that you are all well. Please continue to keep the people of the Northern region of Ghana in your hearts. Today I am thankful for the overwhelming calling that has brought me to Africa to experience pain and heartache, death and dying that I never knew existed. I am thankful as it is through the most difficult of circumstances that we become stronger and more able to recognize and serve the needs of those around us.

What are you thankful for today?

Jill

Happy Birthday to my wonderful sister (in-law) Heather!! I hope you have a wonderful day!! I'm thinking about you!

Congratulations to Cara on her new baby girl!! I can't wait to meet her!! Jessie and I are fist fighting about who gets to hold her first!

No comments:

Post a Comment