Saturday, April 10, 2010

Nalerigu Day 9 with pics

Hello all from Africa!! It was another blessed day and I am EXHAUSTED!!! I am keeping the blog short today and just doing a picture story. Please read from the bottom up as this is how the pictures are introduced into the blog. Sorry about that!!! Tomorrow should be another wonderful day. I'm on call, however, tomorrow and am not sure how busy we will be. I say this as I may not have a chance to make it to the school house to blog. If there is anything interesting, I'll be sure to include it on Monday's blog. I still pinch myself everyday to remind myself I am here. I also catch myself forgetting that although this is just a visit for me, this is where most of these people were born, raised and will die. Incredible. I have shown many people their faces after I've taken their picture which is very interesting to them as most have never even seen what their face looks like.

You all remain in my thoughts and prayers as always!......Jill

START FROM THE BOTTOM AND WORK YOUR WAY TO THE TOP

Yes! I did wear sunscreen, but being at around 10 degrees latitude can be a problem. Yikes! Thanks to Jessie for the aloe.

The little craft market in Bolgatanga where we loaded up the van with goods. I got a small hand woven basket, carved wooden bowel and a couple bracelets for friends. Other people got large hand-carved drums, large baskets, a rifle (true), sewen bags, bowels, necklases and purses. This place was a hit. All of my items cost 22 Cedi which is around 16 US dollars.

Our driver with Stephanie


After the scorching sun, we then drove to Bolgatanga for lunch at a real restaurant. I had chicked and fried rice. Yum! We also able to rehydrate at that time.



This is the rock that slaves were put on if they disobeyed. They were forced to shackle their ankles and hands and look up to the sun. You can see where the chains rubbed at the base of the rock. I figured Joe will want to get one of these for me when I get back. :)







Here is the cemetary where the bodies were laid. Only a rock was placed to mark the grave.








Our next stop was the lookout. This is the highest rock in the area where a guard would sit to ensure nobody escaped or was set free.









This is the area were the slaves were put on market








Here is the whole group performing.








We then moved on to an area where they reinacted the entertainment the slaves had occasionaly in the evenings. There was a large rock platform which was raised up above a large area of flatland. They sang, danced and made a beat with only rocks. This is the young boy that was dancing. Doesn't he look fierce?! I have an amazing video of this whole concert, but can't upload it at this time due to internet speed. (Oh! Yes, his shirt does say Obama)










Here is a rock they used to use to grind the grains. He asked for a woman to try. I figured my amazing cooking skills made me the prime candidate (that is a joke)









These are the dishes that were carved out of the rock. 4-5 slaves would be placed around one "dish". Only the strongest got to eat.










This was the first stop. A natural water whole that has water below regardless if it is the dry or rainy season. On a side note, I really liked our guide since he wore a hat like my Grandpa Christiansen always used to wear. :)











We then travelled to the Pikworo Slave Camp where a guide took us through the came describing the history of slavery in the area. Very interesting!!! It was around noon at this time and there was little for shade. It really made the whole experience more real as I can't imagine being outside at this camp day after day in the hot sun.

















Some children watching us with the crocodiles.









Another crocodile pic. This pond seemed like it was truly in the middle of nowhere











They first feed the crocodiles live chickens after poking them some with a stick to wake them up. (I have a great video of them feeding the crocodiles). They then let people come one by one to sit on them. I preferred to keep my hands and legs and chose not to acquire any strange diseases so did not partake in that. I did get close enough to shoot a picture and pretend I was touching it. You should see the picture before this one. I look terrified! :) I know my Joe would be proud of me for this one.










This is the man that took the fee from us. He most likely had polio previously or a terrible fracture that set incorrectly
We then went to the Zenga Crocodile Pond. Don't let this sign fool you. Essentially, this is just a small pond out the middle of the desert with a group of men who charge a small fee to see the crocodiles. It was awesome!!!















We left for Bolgatanga at 0800. After rounds we were already thirsty and tired. We found plastic bottles of coke at the "gas station" on the way out (yes, I have falled off the wagon and started drinking Coke every once and a while here. There is just not much else). How exciting. Friends from Wichita brought Twizzlers from the States which we all thoroughly enjoyed!!








Today we started rounds at 0630 today so we could all head to the town of Bolgatanga and Paga today (Dr. Hewitt was so kind to let us go while he cared for the hospital). We were able to discharge this baby home since he was doing so well!! (this is the one with the blue spots all over). Hi mother was so very thankful. It felt good. Our little girl with the severe malnutrition is HIV negative and malaria negative. We are still waiting on other tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment